Friday, May 28, 2010

May Wah Vegetarian Pork

Citrus Ribs- Very similar to the Gong Bao chicken, pretty spicy but with a sweet taste. So good. These aren't actually shaped like ribs though,  they're more like smallish hunks of meat. I guess the texture is similar to rib meat, sort of dry and chewy. I believe The Yabba Pot in Baltimore uses these for their citrus ribs, as do some places in NYC.

Lotus Root Ribs- These were shaped like small chunks of meat, not like actual ribs. The taste was ok, but I thought they were much too dry. I just warmed them up and dipped in sauce, but maybe they'd be better simmered or baked with BBQ sauce.

BBQ Ribs- It was hard to judge the size of these from the picture online, so I thought they were actually going to be shaped like ribs. But they were actually more like short, small strips. Taste was ok, but the texture was dry and very springy-spongy, which I didn't like.

Cocktail Sausages- These looked just like real cocktail sausages, so I used them to make pigs-in-the-blanket. Unfortunately, I found them too mushy, with no hot dog taste. They aren't bad, just bland taste and texture.

Bacon- I read a review stating that this was the best vegetarian bacon available. The look and texture is almost creepy...pink meaty strips with greasy white marbling. Unfortunately, I had trouble cooking these. The pink parts cooked ok, but the white parts retained a raw chewy texture that grossed me out. And sadly, there was NO bacon or smokey flavour at all. Maybe these would be better with some liquid smoke or bacon salt, and fried with lots of oil. But I'm sticking with my Morningstar Farms bacon for now...I love that stuff.
Cordon Bleu Pork Chop- At one point these were listed on the site as "Blue Gordon" chops, which was adorable. They're breaded patties stuffed with cheese and what I'm assuming in veggie ham. These are still in my freezer, but I'll post a review soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment